Dr Gareth Francis visited Reception on Tuesday 29th March to provide a fantastic day of science workshops. The morning was spent learning about Rocks, Minerals and Fossils. The children enjoyed:
- Looking at and handling small fossils of ammonites, trilobites and belemnites
- Working as a palaeontologist to excavate fossils from plaster of Paris and sand-based enclosures and identifying them
- Examining minerals such as amethysts and quartz
- Examining volcanic igneous rocks
- Panning for gold and minerals
- Making plaster casts of ammonites, trilobites and fossilised shark’s teeth.
The afternoon workshop was about Space, Stars and the Universe and involved some amazing demonstrations and hands-on experiments to inspire our budding young scientists and engineers. The children enjoyed exploring:
- Looking through telescopes
- Learning about the solar system, planets, deep space, stars, galaxies and black holes
- Investigating how gravity is different on each planet and how it is formed
- Exploring the rotation of the earth and days, months and years with globes and torches.